Rustic Potato Salad
(4 main course servings, or 8 sides)
- 600g red potato (4 x small-medium), cubed
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 8 large eggs, hard boiled
- 2 cup shredded radicchio (extra leaves for garnish)
- 4 large radishes, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, small dice
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 tsp olive oil
- 1.5 Tbs Dijon-style mustard (I love Kozlik’s horseradish mustard for this recipe)
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs dried dill (or 3 Tbs fresh chopped)
- generous amount of ground pepper and kosher salt to taste
Delicious, simple and hearty enough for a main course lunch salad, it can be served fresh (with eggs and potatoes still slightly warmed), or prepared ahead up to several days (remove from fridge at least 30 mins before serving).
To save time and dishes, I cover the eggs with water in a large pot and bring them to a boil, then add the cubed potato in a fitted double boiler with holes to steam covered on top. (You could use two pots, or boil them all together and just strain out eggs.) Remove eggs from boiling water with a slotted spoon around the 6-7 minute mark (set aside/run under cold water), and continue to steam potatoes until just fork tender. In the meantime prepare the rest of your ingredients.
In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Set aside ~ 1 Tbs to drizzle on top. Add all ingredients to bowl and toss gently, but thoroughly, with large spoon. Adjust seasoning as needed. Serve in bowls or on plates inside a radicchio leaf garnish, and drizzle extra dressing on top.
Nutrition Facts (per main course serving): 350 kcal, 19.5 g fat, 28.5 g carbohydrate 3.9 g fibre, 3.2 g sugar, 16.5 g protein, vitamin A* 36%, vitamin C* 61%, calcium*10%, iron* 24% (* based on a 2000 calorie diet).